- Program overview
Title: Introduction to FEM with Patran & MSC Nastran – online course. Director: Professor Juan José Benito Muñoz.
Department: Construction & Manufacturing Engineering (UNED University)
- Eligibility & requirements
A degree is required, although university students in the last year of their course may be admitted with proof of their academic status.
- Presentation and objectives
The objective of this course is to introduce attendees to the use of Finite Element analysis software, allowing them to acquire the basic skills to enable them to work with this type of analysis in their professional practice.
This course originated as a collaboration project between UNED and Ingeciber, S.A., a company specializing in Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE).
The course consists of three subjects:
- Introduction to the use of the application software I
- Introduction to the use of the application software II
- Practical Application Exercises with Patran & MSC Nastran. The content of each subject is detailed below.
- 1st Subject: Introduction to the use of the application software I.
which is structured into the following chapters:
- Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- Basics of MD Nastran and Patran
- MD Nastran Elements Overview
- Space Station Truss
- Case Study: Traffic Signal Pole
- Case Study: Aircraft Wing Rib
- Case Study: Intercooler Structure
- 2nd Subject: Introduction to the use of the application software II.
The chapters of this subject are:
- Case Study: Scuba Tank
- Case Study: Car Design
- Case Study: Communications Tower
- Case Study: Slender Column Buckling
- Linear Contact
- Parasolid Modeling
- Results Post-processing
- Model Checkout
- 3rd Subject: Practical Application Exercises with Patran & MSC Nastran.
The objective of this subject is to complete the concepts explained previously in the first two subjects through a number of exercises that must be completed using PATRAN / MSC NASTRAN.
The exercises represent a review of the concepts introduced in the subjects taken till now, as well as the orderly use of PATRAN / MSC NASTRAN.
These exercises will be delivered to the tutor in order to get feed back and recommendations. The exercises will be similar to the following ones:
- Advanced analysis of a warehouse with temperature jump
- 3D Truss Bridge structural analysis
- Offshore platform design for different structural loads
- Structural analysis and validation of a Space Satellite.
- Structural analysis of a steam condenser
- Pre-stress bolt design of a union.
50 hours of study. The course lasts from 1 to 6 weeks with full flexibility since no specific delivery date is indicated.
Distance learning methodology, including pre-prepared study materials and bibliography, tutorials, audiovisual resources and practical application exercises.
- Teaching materials
- Attendees will receive the teaching guide and the corresponding materials for the course.
- Furthermore, in order to complete the practical exercises and training, the educational version of MSC Patran & Nastran will be provided by the course.
- Additional training material for the course developed by ICAEEC.
The course uses a virtual classroom as a training facility where study tools can be found and also as the main communication channel with the attendees.
Other tools will also be used, including audiovisual resources as well as other supplementary documentation.
- Attendee services
The teaching staff will respond to attendee inquiries via telephone, email, or in person. Phone tutorship’s will be available within the following hours:
Monday to Friday during office hours and always subject to tutor’s availability.
- Evaluation and qualification criteria
Attendee evaluation will be performed through the practical application exercises.
Certification will consist of a diploma from ICAEEC & Ingeciber indicating successful completion of the subject by the attendee as well as the grade obtained in the practical application exercises.
- Teaching staff
Professor Juan José Benito Muñoz (Director). Construction & Manufacturing Engineering Department (UNED).
Mr. Ronald Siat (Coordinator & Tutor). Ingeciber, S.A.
Mr. Rubén Establés (Tutor). CITD Engineering & Technologies.
Tuition fees are €450.
Current and former attendees of the UNED Master’s in Theoretical and Practical Application of the Finite Element Method and CAE Simulation are eligible for a 33% discount.
Attendees who pass this course can request validation of the application and practical course subjects of the mechanical branch of the Patran & Nastran expert module from the academic board of UNED Master’s in Theoretical and Practical Application of the Finite Element Method and CAE Simulation.