- Program overview
Title: Advanced FEM Course for Civil Engineering – online course.
Director: Professor Juan José Benito Muñoz.
Department: Construction & Manufacturing Engineering (UNED University).
Software: CivilFEM powered by Marc (free licenses are included).
- Eligibility and requirements
There are no specific academic requirements. It is recommended to fulfill first the Free FEM Course available in the ICAECC platform.
This program provides students with professional training in the Finite Element Method, with a focus on civil engineering. The goal of this advanced course is to give students a next level of understanding of the Finite Element Method, beyond the linear and static analyses of the Free Course and to provide the necessary knowledge to use it, which can then be applied directly at engineering and manufacturing companies, scientific research institutes and other advanced studies.
The objective in this course is to summarize modern and effective finite element procedures for the linear and nonlinear analyses of static and dynamic problems.
The material provided includes the basic finite element formulations employed, the effective implementation of these formulations in CivilFEM powered by Marc software, and recommendations on the actual use of the methods in civil engineering practice (see all the advanced examples included). The course is intended for practicing engineers who want to solve real problems using modern and efficient finite element methods.
With this objective in mind, the advanced course is completely structured into several application and practical chapters that include professional software currently used in the market, such as CivilFEM powered by Marc.
Ingeciber and UNED, the partners to this course, are determined to invest in the internationalization of students and collaborators and want to offer participants the maximum number of options, such as this course, with the goal of sharing experiences in the world of CAE at a global level.
The course is divided into five subjects:
- Fundamentals of the Finite Element Method.
- FEA Workflow.
- Dynamic Analysis.
- Advanced Examples.
The contents of each subject are detailed below:
- Fundamentals of FEM
- Historical Reference.
- Physical/Mathematical/Numerical Model.
- General Approach of FEM.
- Stiffness Matrix.
- Shape Functions.
- Nodes and Elements.
- Example: FE displacement interpolation functions and element stiffness matrices.
- FEA Workflow
- Meshing. Element Types. Accuracy.
- Boundary Conditions and Loads.
- Analysis. Solution Configuration.
- PostProcessing. Averaged Stresses. Code Check/Design.
- Symmetry and Plane models.
- Error Estimation.
- Stress Singularity.
- Basics of nonlinear problems. Newton-Raphson. Arc Length.
- Nonlinear Geometry. Large displacements. Buckling.
- Nonlinear Materials. Steel Yielding. Material Models. Geotechnics.
- Contacts: Glue, Friction, Breaking, Cohesive.
- Activation/Deactivation. Construction Stage.
- Convergence tips.
- Dynamic Analysis:
- Modal Analysis. Mode Shapes. Natural Frequencies.
- Harmonic Analysis. Resonance.
- Transient Analysis. Moving Loads. Impacts.
- Serviceability Limit State. Vibrations.
- Seismic Analysis. Spectrum. Mode Combination.
- Advanced Examples:
- Prestressed Concrete Frame.
- Concrete Nonlinear Buckling.
- Fiber-Reinforced Concrete.
- Bond-Slip Analysis of corroded rebar.
- Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete.
- Construction Stage of an Arc Bridge.
- Reinforced Concrete Structures Under Cyclic Loading.
- Cracks in Shear Walls.
- Yielding of a Steel Beam-Column Connection.
- Serviceability State of Vibrations in a Footbridge.
- Dynamic Analysis of Tacoma Bridge. Aeroelastic Flutter.
- Tunnel Construction Stage.
- Tunnel-Building Interaction.
- Slope Stability. Shear Strength Reduction Method.
- Brinch-Hansen. Bearing Capacity of a Footing.
- Hydration Process in Concrete. Thermal-Structural Coupled Analysis.
- Steel Building Fire Collapse. Thermal-Structural Coupled Analysis.
- Dam Seepage Analysis.
- Pushover Analysis of an Oil&Gas Structure.
The online course has a duration of 2 months. CivilFEM software license (128000-node limit) is included during the course.
Distance learning methodology, including pre-prepared study materials and bibliography, tutorials, audiovisual resources and practical application exercises.
- Teaching Materials
Attendees will receive the documentation and the corresponding materials for each subject and exercises.
Furthermore, in order to complete the practical exercises and training, the educational version of CivilFEM powered by Marc will be provided by the course.
The course uses a virtual classroom as a training facility where study tools can be found and also as the main communication channel with the attendees.
Other tools will also be used, including audiovisual resources as well as other supplementary documentation.
The teaching materials for this subject consist of:
- The introduction to CivilFEM powered by Marc training material and related workbook exercise
- Additional training material for the course developed by ICAEEC.
- Software: CivilFEM powered by Marc (128000 nodes).
Students will have access to a permanent educational software license of CivilFEM powered by Marc. All the software included is 3D based and has all the elements needed to complete the various types of analysis throughout the course. The software limit of the license is 128000 nodes, large enough to complete the training. You have more info about the software here.
The teaching staff will be available using the online platform of the course. The available tools are the forum and email. Videos and webinars are available as well to clarify the questions of the students.
- Evaluation and grading criteria
Attendee evaluation will be performed through the practical application exercises.
Certification will consist of a diploma from ICAEEC & Ingeciber indicating successful completion of the subject by the attendee as well as the grade obtained in the practical application exercises and final quiz.
Tuition fees are €300 which includes all training material and certificates.